BLOGGER



Youngest kid of six with an inferiority and black sheep complex, but determined that God saves not just his soul to heaven but the remainder of his manic-depressive life, so others won't say he became a Christian and remained a jerk.


MAIN THEMES

On identity
i won't be transparent before i'm opaque. and you'll get to know me starting from the small things: who my favourite bands are. what kind of movies i like. who are my heroes.

On Christianity
I’m convinced that when confronted with sincere, real love, the Jesus factor will become obvious. But let’s not plant the cross before we carry it. I’m not trying to con you.

On dreams
Some dreams are meant to be achieved. I know that. But maybe other dreams are meant to drive us, privately. Never known to anyone but ourselves.


OTHER THEMES

On melancholy
It is a sadness that, when choosing between crying and sighing, will choose sighing. I'd almost say that melancholy is being sad about sadness itself.

On memory and nostalgia
It saddens me when life moves forward and people decide that certain things are worth forgetting.

On language
I've learnt that the word irregardless is filed as a non-standard word in the English language. That's a lexicographer's way of saying it's not a real word.

On politics
Crowds are fickle things. So when we stand in the thousands and cry against the present government, do we know who we're actually crying for?

On society
People always want the best for themselves. But I want to sometimes take second or third or fourth best, just so that the loser down the road doesn't always have to come in last. It must feel like shit to always come in last.

On growing old
Leasehold property make me feel sad. It doesn't matter how old the family photos are that you put on your wall. It's your family but it's not really your wall.

On philosophy
I ask you, if God loves everyone, and if God is also incapable of loving evil, how can there be such a thing as an evil man?

On a daily basis
One line quips, like this.


CHAT





Monday, March 31, 2008
ON OPINION, RESTRAINT AND ALWAYS BEING RIGHT

Today, i offended my friend. i never meant to. but inadvertently i did.

by inadvertently, of course, i mean that i misplaced my honesty, i was sensationally insensitive and i lacked restraint when holding an uncompromising position.

the fact of the matter is that some of the values i hold offend people. i don't know how i grew up like this, but i've emerged from my teens and twenties as someone who needs to hold a strong opinion on almost everything. now having an opinion has never been a bad thing. even the opinions themselves - though some may argue otherwise - are not in themselves the problem.

the problem is that i've not learned how to keep my mouth shut.

and so today, at a fairly overdue age of 27, i've learned how important it is to be restrained about some of my values. i'm learning today that sometimes, the conversations i want most to participate in are the ones i should avoid the most. i'm learning today that i can afford to let comments move back and forth in front of me without me having to tell people what i think. even when asked.

because when 19th century american presidential candidate henry clay was told to dumb down his hardline position on slavery, he said "I would rather be right than president". but today i have this to say: i would rather be related than right.

i would rather keep some of my relationships than defend an idea that i think is correct. today, i'm deciding that, and so i am consequently deciding to show more restraint. cos there are few things more unpleasant than a self-righteous jerk.

Labels: ,



Genusfrog [ 3:10 pm ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home