BLOGGER



Youngest kid of six with an inferiority and black sheep complex, but determined that God saves not just his soul to heaven but the remainder of his manic-depressive life, so others won't say he became a Christian and remained a jerk.


MAIN THEMES

On identity
i won't be transparent before i'm opaque. and you'll get to know me starting from the small things: who my favourite bands are. what kind of movies i like. who are my heroes.

On Christianity
I’m convinced that when confronted with sincere, real love, the Jesus factor will become obvious. But let’s not plant the cross before we carry it. I’m not trying to con you.

On dreams
Some dreams are meant to be achieved. I know that. But maybe other dreams are meant to drive us, privately. Never known to anyone but ourselves.


OTHER THEMES

On melancholy
It is a sadness that, when choosing between crying and sighing, will choose sighing. I'd almost say that melancholy is being sad about sadness itself.

On memory and nostalgia
It saddens me when life moves forward and people decide that certain things are worth forgetting.

On language
I've learnt that the word irregardless is filed as a non-standard word in the English language. That's a lexicographer's way of saying it's not a real word.

On politics
Crowds are fickle things. So when we stand in the thousands and cry against the present government, do we know who we're actually crying for?

On society
People always want the best for themselves. But I want to sometimes take second or third or fourth best, just so that the loser down the road doesn't always have to come in last. It must feel like shit to always come in last.

On growing old
Leasehold property make me feel sad. It doesn't matter how old the family photos are that you put on your wall. It's your family but it's not really your wall.

On philosophy
I ask you, if God loves everyone, and if God is also incapable of loving evil, how can there be such a thing as an evil man?

On a daily basis
One line quips, like this.


CHAT





Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Retelling the story of my Portuguese friend:

My two friends and I drove to the woody mountainous area of the south of Portugal, which was really close to to the border of Spain. We climbed up the hilly wooded area and lost our way. As dusk approached, we decided to spend the night in the woods, with only our bathing suits and towels. It was freezing cold.

Strangely, we were not afraid, we were just cold! I remember looking for a rock to lie on and staring up at the starry expense of the sky. In the morning, we decided to call 911. As we were really close to the Spanish border, the call connected to the Spanish emergency services! After explaining our situation, (that we really needed the Portuguese emergency services, and that we were lost in the woods in the south of Portugal) the guy on the line managed to get us the number to the Portuguese emergency. So I called the number and explained our situation for the second time.

The guy on the line says, "Well, is anyone hurt?"

And I say, "No, we are just cold and tired and hungry and lost."

The guy says, "Well, we have helicopters that we can send, but since no one is hurt, I suggest that you call the park ranger."

So for the third time, I call another number (bearing in mind that we were already exhausted and hungry and only in our bathing suits), and explained the situation again. This time, the person on the line knew what to do.

"Go back to the trail where you came from and we will send a truck to pick you up."
-------------

So they were saved after all. After a cross-border detour in telecommunications...

ps: I ask him if there were snakes, and he said that there were, probably. But none bit them. Fortunate...

Labels:



oomoo [ 5:46 am ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home