BLOGGER



Youngest kid of six with an inferiority and black sheep complex, but determined that God saves not just his soul to heaven but the remainder of his manic-depressive life, so others won't say he became a Christian and remained a jerk.


MAIN THEMES

On identity
i won't be transparent before i'm opaque. and you'll get to know me starting from the small things: who my favourite bands are. what kind of movies i like. who are my heroes.

On Christianity
I’m convinced that when confronted with sincere, real love, the Jesus factor will become obvious. But let’s not plant the cross before we carry it. I’m not trying to con you.

On dreams
Some dreams are meant to be achieved. I know that. But maybe other dreams are meant to drive us, privately. Never known to anyone but ourselves.


OTHER THEMES

On melancholy
It is a sadness that, when choosing between crying and sighing, will choose sighing. I'd almost say that melancholy is being sad about sadness itself.

On memory and nostalgia
It saddens me when life moves forward and people decide that certain things are worth forgetting.

On language
I've learnt that the word irregardless is filed as a non-standard word in the English language. That's a lexicographer's way of saying it's not a real word.

On politics
Crowds are fickle things. So when we stand in the thousands and cry against the present government, do we know who we're actually crying for?

On society
People always want the best for themselves. But I want to sometimes take second or third or fourth best, just so that the loser down the road doesn't always have to come in last. It must feel like shit to always come in last.

On growing old
Leasehold property make me feel sad. It doesn't matter how old the family photos are that you put on your wall. It's your family but it's not really your wall.

On philosophy
I ask you, if God loves everyone, and if God is also incapable of loving evil, how can there be such a thing as an evil man?

On a daily basis
One line quips, like this.


CHAT





Thursday, September 07, 2006
If Malaysia got invaded by some neighbouring country, say a fictitious enemy called Singonesia ... will you fight?

If you fight, will it be for the land? the people? the malaysian way of life? If you don't, is it because you're ready to live under someone else? ready to sing the anthem of another nation? or maybe national conflicts don't interest you. will you buckle down and live on or will you hatch a migratorial plan?

I think it'll be good if i joined the national reserves. not only will it teach me some discipline, i would be exercising my verbal patriotism. i could be proud of having been in the army. i could stand up tall and sing "tanah tumpahnya darahku" without feeling like i feel whenever i sing "Jesus, i will go to the ends of the earth for you".

But is the national reserves the answer? am i just trying to compensate for some kind of foreignness in me? the way i speak? the way i think? the books i read? my taste in things?

If Malaysia got invaded by some fictitious neighbouring enemy called Singonesia, i would fight - probably to my death, whether or not that death is down to heroism or sloppiness. i told david this morning that i'm quite happy to be the lay-soldier who goes to war under the spell of nationalistic indoctrination, as long as i don't think too much about it. problem is, i'll start to think about it.

Labels: ,



Genusfrog [ 9:39 am ]

8 Comments:

  • Hey...I recognise this......It's Apocalypse Now!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:29 am  

  • Ya bro!!! The best war film of all time!!! Ok... maybe you don't think so. but it is to me. i've yet to see a better shot war film since this.

    jon, will you go to war for malaysia?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 am  

  • I will. Provided I've gone thru intensive trainings like the ones you see in Full Metal Jacket where they will drill you like mad. Would love to serve my country.

    I have categorised those war films(modern warfare) which I find best :

    Best WWII film overall : Saving Private Ryan
    Best German speaking WWII film : Downfall
    Best Naval Warfare film : Das Boot
    Best Russian Front film : Stalingrad
    Best Sniper WWII film : Enemy At The Gates
    Best Pacific War film : Thin Red Line
    Best WWII series : Band of Brothers
    Best Vietnam war film : Full Metal Jacket & Apocalypse Now (tie!), also consider We Were Soldiers
    Best WWI film : The Lost Batallion
    Best WWII massive bombing scenes : Yamato(Japanese) & Pearl Harbour

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 am  

  • brother, you're the definitive expert man. everyone, if you ever need an expert on war films, jonboy is da man.

    but... got more than one wwii series meh? i tot band of bros was the only one. what is it competing against? errr.... the sullivans? kekeke.... errrr.... was m*a*s*h* a wwii series? or film? hmmmm.... i really dunno my war films. you expert la.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:34 pm  

  • Hahaha....that's why it's the only best WWII series....the other Vietnam War series was NAM:Tour of Duty. Which was superb too! M*A*S*H* was not in series, and it was about the Korean War. Hahahah...yes bro..I'm a war movie freak!! I can watch them again and again and again....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 pm  

  • ok. so here's the test. name me five of the WORST war films of all time. the kind that can make you puke blood because it's so bad wan.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 pm  

  • Actually, I wouldn't say there are really really bad WWII films, but there are bad war films....i can't name them all here....but at least i can assure you, I've watched every single war films I come across...probably there are another 40-50% more which I haven't heard about them or couldn't find them.

    Some crappy WWII film will be U-571, Windtalkers.

    Other war movie which I think sucks will be Hamburger Hill 1 & 2....crapppp

    To my surpise, there are some Black & White war films which are really good!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 pm  

  • black and white rawks mah. i love black n white. good black and white is many times better than average colour. in fact, i'll go as far as to say if you can't do good colour, do black and white.

    hahahaa.... thanks for all your comments bro. one day i have to sit down with you and do a real interview.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home